Georgette Ellen Perry

F, b. 8 April 1910, d. 21 July 1991
Georgette Ellen Perry
Oscar Godfrey Raymond Johnson
1979
From the collection of: Jean Lorraine Souther
     Georgette Ellen Perry was born on 8 April 1910 at Alton Bay, New Hampshire.1 She was the daughter of Woodward Augustus Perry and Edith May Dow. Georgette Ellen Perry was also known as Georgie Perry. She appeared on the census of 25 April 1910 at Alton, New Hampshire.2 She appeared on the census of 9 January 1920 at Hyde Park Avenue, Boston [Ward 22], Massachusetts.3 She was graduated in June 1927 at Quincy High School, Quincy, Massachusetts. She appeared on the census of 7 April 1930 at Terrace Court, Quincy, Massachusetts.4 She married Oscar Godfrey Raymond Johnson, son of Frank Oscar Johnson and Josephine E. Nelson, on 14 July 1934 at Quincy, Massachusetts. Her married name was Johnson. Georgette Ellen Perry died on 21 July 1991 at Hyannis, Massachusetts, at age 81. She was obituary Georgette E. Johnson, 81

New Hampshire native; raised, educated in Quincy

EASTHAM - Georgette E. (Perry) Johnson, 81, died Sunday at the Cape Cod Hospital, Hyannis.

Born in Alton Bay, N.H., Mrs. Johnson was raised and educated in Quincy.

She was wife of the late Raymond O. Johnson.

Survivors include two nieces, Barbara Anderson of Brockton and Jean L. Souther of Eastham; a nephew, Richard Souther of Wellfleet; and a sister-in-law, Polly Johnson of Hyannis.

The funeral services will be at 10 a.m. tomorrow at the McNamara-Sparrell Funeral Home, 30 Central St., Norwell. Burial will be in the Hanover Center Cemetery, Hanover.

Visiting hours will be 7 to 9 tonight at the funeral home. She was buried at Hanover Centre Cemetery, Hanover, Massachusetts. Georgie at one time worked for the Great Atlantic & Pacific Tea Company in Savin Hill, MA. She graduated from Quincy High School in June 1927. She and Ray were married by Eric I. LINDH, Minister of Bethany Congregational Church in Quincy. She died at Cape Cod Hospital and is buried with her husband at Hanover Centre Cemetery. They never had any children. She was described on 4 August 2011 at 74420410.

Citations

  1. [S449] Certified Certificate of Birth for Georgette Ellen Perry, dated 4 Jul 1947.
  2. [S1045] 1910-NH, Film T624-860, p. 43, Line 66.
  3. [S817] 1920-MA, Boston, Suffolk, Massachusetts, Ward 22, Film T625-739, p. 15A, E.D. 539, Lines 17-21.
  4. [S943] 1930-MA, ED 99; Sheet 58, Line 40.

Oscar Godfrey Raymond Johnson

M, b. 16 November 1908, d. 13 March 1981
     Oscar Godfrey Raymond Johnson was described as Brown Hair / Blue Eyes / 5'11." He was born on 16 November 1908 at Quincy, Massachusetts. He was the son of Frank Oscar Johnson and Josephine E. Nelson. Oscar Godfrey Raymond Johnson was also known as Ray Johnson. He was employed by Quincy High School in June 1927 at Quincy, Massachusetts. He married Georgette Ellen Perry, daughter of Woodward Augustus Perry and Edith May Dow, on 14 July 1934 at Quincy, Massachusetts. Oscar Godfrey Raymond Johnson died on 13 March 1981 at Hyannis, Massachusetts, at age 72.1 He was buried at Hanover Centre Cemetery, Hanover, Massachusetts. Ray graduated from Quincy High School in Jun 1927. Ray enlisted with the National Guard at Boston on 7 Jan 1927 and received his Honorable Discharge on 6 Jan 1930 from Brigidair General Erland F. FISH. He once worked for the Richard Young Leather Company in Boston.

He died of Liver Cancer and is buried in Hanover Centre Cemetery. He was described on 23 July 2010 at 55341720.

Citations

  1. [S718] Bible-Family, of Georgette Ellen PERRY.

Raymond Rich Freeman

M, b. 16 August 1884, d. 1949
     Raymond Rich Freeman was born on 16 August 1884 at Truro, Massachusetts.1 He was the son of Isaac C. Freeman and Almena M. Hamilton.1 Raymond Rich Freeman married Mary Ambrose Snow, daughter of Everett Webster Snow and Annabelle Stone, on 14 March 1911 at Wellfleet, Massachusetts.2 Raymond Rich Freeman died in 1949 at Wellfleet, Massachusetts.1

Child of Raymond Rich Freeman and Mary Ambrose Snow

Citations

  1. [S981] Ancestry.com, "Stephenson Family Tree."
  2. [S719] Town of Wellfleet, WAR, Year Ending 31 Dec 1911.

Mary Ambrose Snow

F, b. 1 November 1885, d. 1971
     Mary Ambrose Snow was born on 1 November 1885 at Wellfleet, Massachusetts.1 She was the daughter of Everett Webster Snow and Annabelle Stone.2 Mary Ambrose Snow married Raymond Rich Freeman, son of Isaac C. Freeman and Almena M. Hamilton, on 14 March 1911 at Wellfleet, Massachusetts.3 Her married name was Freeman. Mary Ambrose Snow died in 1971 at Wellfleet, Massachusetts.2

Child of Mary Ambrose Snow and Raymond Rich Freeman

Citations

  1. [S981] Ancestry.com, 1900 Federal Census for Wellfleet, Massachusetts.
  2. [S981] Ancestry.com, "Stephenson Family Tree."
  3. [S719] Town of Wellfleet, WAR, Year Ending 31 Dec 1911.

Merrill Rich

F

Deborah Louise Freeman

F
     Deborah Louise Freeman is the daughter of Raymond Rich Freeman III and Merrill Rich.

Nancy Ellen Freeman

F
     Nancy Ellen Freeman is the daughter of Raymond Rich Freeman III and Merrill Rich.

Julie Clarice Freeman

F
     Julie Clarice Freeman is the daughter of Raymond Rich Freeman III and Merrill Rich.

Mary Beth Freeman

F
     Mary Beth Freeman is the daughter of Raymond Rich Freeman III and Merrill Rich.

Angel Sanchez

M

David James Sanchez

M
     David James Sanchez is the son of Angel Sanchez and Mary Beth Freeman.

Jemima Porter

F, b. 17 September 1812, d. 10 November 1851
     Jemima Porter was born on 17 September 1812 at Cornwallis, Nova Scotia.1,2,3 She was the daughter of Simon Porter and Jane Power. Jemima Porter was also known as Jerimah Porter. She married Henry Austin Pineo, son of Peter Bentley Pineo and Olive Jane Comstock, circa 1831. Her married name was Pineo. Jemima Porter was also known as Jamima Pineo. She appeared on the census of 21 September 1850 at Ward 11, Boston, Massachusetts.4 She died on 10 November 1851 at Boston, Massachusetts, at age 39.5

Children of Jemima Porter and Henry Austin Pineo

Citations

  1. [S921] 1880 US Census CD, FHL Film 1254551, National Archives T9-0551, p. 407C.
  2. [S702] Letter, dtd 12 Dec 1995 from W. Edward Brownell of South Berwick, Nova Scotia.
  3. [S548] Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, IGI, 1994 Edition.
  4. [S866] 1850-MA, Film M432-338, p. 229, Line 17.
  5. [S252] MA-MA Archives-VR, Deaths, (Jamima Pineo), Volume 59, p. 77, #50.

William Robert Bailey

M

Patrick Michael Bailey

M
     Patrick Michael Bailey is the son of William Robert Bailey and Julie Clarice Freeman.

Clarice Marie Bailey

F
     Clarice Marie Bailey is the daughter of William Robert Bailey and Julie Clarice Freeman.

John William Bailey

M
     John William Bailey is the son of William Robert Bailey and Julie Clarice Freeman.

John Fishel

M

Thomas Rogers

M

Christopher Moray Rogers

M
     Christopher Moray Rogers is the son of Thomas Rogers and Joanne Christine Freeman.

Cathleen Marie Rogers

F
     Cathleen Marie Rogers is the daughter of Thomas Rogers and Joanne Christine Freeman.

Tilson Anderson Mead

M, b. 1 February 1857, d. 5 April 1914
Tilson Anderson Mead
From the collection of: Barbara Jean (Mead) Sprouse
     Tilson Anderson Mead was School Teacher. He was born on 1 February 1857 at Hingham, Massachusetts.1 He was the son of Walton Vilef Mead and Lucy Whiton. Tilson Anderson Mead appeared on the census of June 1860 at Hingham, Massachusetts.2 He married Sarah Adelaide Souther, daughter of Edward Brush Souther and Sarah Hardwick Adams, on 19 November 1885 at Quincy, Massachusetts.3,4 Tilson Anderson Mead died on 5 April 1914 at age 57. He was buried at Hingham "Old Ship" Cemetery, Section D, Plot 187, Lot #1, Hingham, Massachusetts. Tilson (Tillson or Tillon) was a school teacher.

The following is from the Quincy Daily Ledger, Tuesday, 3 Sep 1895, p. 2, column 3.

HEROIC RESCUE

Possibly at the Cost of His Own Life - Residene of Tilson A. Mead Destroyed by Fire - The Eight Inmates of House Barely Escape Alive


Mr. Tilson A. Mead, a former resident of this city is at the Quincy Hospital, suffering from burns which may prove fatal. His home at East Boston, was destroyed by fire last night, and it was in the heroic rescue of his family and aged mother that he received his injuries. Mr. Mead married a daughter of Mr. E. B. Souther of Quincy and was principal of the Adams school in this city some years ago. He stands high in educational matters, and is also known in musical circles, being director at one time of the large choir of the Quincy Congregational church. Dr. John A. Gordon was his physician here, and under his skillful care now it is hoped he may recover. The Globe today prints this report of the fire.

Tilson A. Mead, principal of the Chapman grammar school of East Boston, was perhaps fatally burned while rescuing his aged mother from his burning home at 32 Monmouth street, East Boston, last night.

He has burns all over his body, limbs and face, and he inhaled the flames through his nose and mouth, Dr. Tilton, his family physician, told a Globe reporter late last night that his condition was very critical.

Mr. Mead's mother, who is 74 years old, is prostrated by the shock she received, and Dr. Tilton said that, owing to her age, her case is very serious.

H. M. Mead of Minneapolis, the school master's brother, who was visiting there with his wife, was painfully burned about the hands and face. Mr. H. M. Mead was burned about the face and feet, and also in her nostrils.

The family returned home from their vacation yesterday. They were all very tired and went to bed about 9:45. Mr. Mead had been in bed about 10 minutes, and had just made the remark to his wife, "Thank God we have a home to come to rest," when he heard a noise, then it seemed as if the whole place had exploded, and was all on fire.

He and Mrs. Mead and two young children were sleeping in a room just off the front room on the second floor. The fire seemed to be burning most fiercely in the large front room. Mr. Mead succeeded in getting his wife and children out before they were burned, then he rushed for his mother's room, which was on the third floor.

To get up stairs he had to go through the flames. This he did without hesitation, and when he reached her room he found her hanging out of the window to which she had gone for air, having been nearly suffocated by smoke.

Mr. Mead is a large and powerful built man and he took his mother in his arms and started with her down the two flights of stairs. He succeeded in shielding her quite effectively from the flames as they passed the second floor on the wayh to the street, but he was terribly burned himself and barely made his way through the hall, which had become almost like a furnace.

when half way down the lower flight the was overcome and could do no more. By this time there was plenty of help from without. Neighbors had seen the fire and rushed to the house to give whatever help they could. He was described on 18 August 2010 at 57271352.

Children of Tilson Anderson Mead and Sarah Adelaide Souther

Citations

  1. [S252] MA-MA Archives-VR, Births, Volume 106, p. 379, #15.
  2. [S1016] 1860-MA, Hingham, p. 52.
  3. [S252] MA-MA Archives-VR, Marriages, Volume 362, p. 316, #110.
  4. [S232] Andrew Napoleon Adams, Adams, P. 485.

Thomas Humphrey

M
     Thomas Humphrey married Sarah Souther, daughter of Daniel Souther [Revolutionary War] and Grace Sprague, on 20 June 1813 at Massachusetts.1

Citations

  1. [S4] George Howard Souther, Memoranda, p. 21.

Joshua R. Witherell

M, b. 19 May 1791
     Joshua R. Witherell was Laborer. He was born on 19 May 1791 at Pembroke, Massachusetts.1 He was the son of Josiah Witherell and Lydia Glover. Joshua R. Witherell married Sarah Souther, daughter of Daniel Souther [Revolutionary War] and Grace Sprague, on 29 November 1812 at Hingham, Massachusetts.2 Marriage banns for Joshua R. Witherell and Sarah Souther were published on 24 April 1814 at Pembroke, Massachusetts.3 Joshua R. Witherell married Sarah Souther, daughter of Daniel Souther [Revolutionary War] and Grace Sprague, on 8 May 1814 at Pembroke, Massachusetts.4 Joshua R. Witherell died at Pembroke, Massachusetts.

Children of Joshua R. Witherell and Sarah Souther

Citations

  1. [S278] Peter Charles Witherell and Edwin Ralph Witherell, Witherell-Witherill, p. 186.
  2. [S537] VR-Pembroke-1850, p. 348.
  3. [S537] VR-Pembroke-1850, p. 349.
  4. [S1] George Lincoln, Hingham-Genealogies, p. 158.

Mary Brown

F, b. circa 1860
     Mary Brown was born circa 1860. She married Daniel L. Souther, son of Elijah Souther Jr. and Martha Jane Mitchell. Her married name was Souther.

Rachel Damon

F, b. 4 May 1786, d. 7 February 1876
     Rachel Damon was born on 4 May 1786 at Weymouth, Massachusetts.1 She was the daughter of Jonathan Damon and Rachel French. Rachel Damon was baptized on 11 October 1789 at Weymouth, Massachusetts.1 She married Job Tower Souther, son of Asa Souter and Meriel Tower, on 16 February 1808 at Massachusetts.2 Her married name was Souther. Rachel Damon died on 7 February 1876 at South Boston, Massachusetts, at age 89.3 All of Rachel and Job's children are believed born in Massachusetts.

Children of Rachel Damon and Job Tower Souther

Citations

  1. [S118] George Walter Chamberlain, Weymouth, p. 195.
  2. [S4] George Howard Souther, Memoranda, p. 24.
  3. [S252] MA-MA Archives-VR, Deaths, Volume 294, p. 26, #83.

Rachel Souther

F, b. 13 October 1809, d. after 1874
     Rachel Souther was born on 13 October 1809 at Cohasset, Massachusetts.1 She was the daughter of Job Tower Souther and Rachel Damon. Rachel Souther was baptized on 2 June 1811 at Cohasset, Massachusetts.2 She married George Paige at Massachusetts.1 Her married name was Paige. Rachel Souther died after 1874.

Citations

  1. [S4] George Howard Souther, Memoranda, p. 24.
  2. [S139] Thomas W. Baldwin, VR-Cohasset-1850, p. 97.

Job Tore Souther

M, b. 9 May 1811, d. 9 December 1874
Job Tore Souther
Mount Hope Cemetery, Jamaica Plain
     Job Tore Souther was Machinist. He was born on 9 May 1811 at Cohasset, Massachusetts.1 He was the son of Job Tower Souther and Rachel Damon. Job Tore Souther was baptized on 2 June 1811 at Cohasset, Massachusetts.2 He married Sarah Ann Long on 14 March 1833 at Boston, Massachusetts.3 Job Tore Souther appeared on the census of 1850 at Ward 12, Boston, Massachusetts.4 He died on 9 December 1874 at South Boston, Massachusetts, at age 63.5 He was buried at Mount Hope Cemetery, Boston, Massachusetts. His estate was probated in 1874 at Suffolk County Probate #56479 - Will, Boston, Massachusetts. Job was a Machinist. It appears that he was a member of the Saint Paul's Lodge of Masons since 5 Sep 1848. He died of an ear problem at the home of his son, Joaquin. The whole family is buried at Mount Hope Cemetery in Jamaica Plain, MA. He was described on 27 July 2010 at 55529432.

Children of Job Tore Souther and Sarah Ann Long

Citations

  1. [S4] George Howard Souther, Memoranda, p. 24.
  2. [S139] Thomas W. Baldwin, VR-Cohasset-1850, p. 96.
  3. [S342] Edward Webster McGlenen, BM-1752-1809, 2:315.
  4. [S981] Ancestry.com, 1850 Federal Census for Massachusetts.
  5. [S252] MA-MA Archives-VR, Deaths, 267:267:18.

Mary Ann Souther

F, b. 20 May 1813, d. 3 August 1869
     Mary Ann Souther was born on 20 May 1813 at Cohasset, Massachusetts.1 She was the daughter of Job Tower Souther and Rachel Damon. Mary Ann Souther married William Little, son of Amos Little and Elizabeth Kimball, on 15 March 1831 at Boston, Massachusetts.2 Her married name was Little. Mary Ann Souther died on 3 August 1869 at Boston, Massachusetts, at age 56.3 Mary and William were married by Reverend Rollin H. Neal.

At the time of Mary's death of cancer, she was residing at 328 3rd Street. She was described on 20 July 2011 at 73676001.

Children of Mary Ann Souther and William Little

Citations

  1. [S141] George Thomas Little, Little, p. 392.
  2. [S710] VR-Boston City.
  3. [S252] MA-MA Archives-VR, Deaths, 222:126:3260.

Asa Souther

M, b. 28 August 1814, d. 9 March 1815
     Asa Souther was born on 28 August 1814 at Boston, Massachusetts.1 He was the son of Job Tower Souther and Rachel Damon. Asa Souther died on 9 March 1815 at Boston, Massachusetts.1

Citations

  1. [S4] George Howard Souther, Memoranda, p. 24.

John Souther

M, b. 1 March 1818, d. 12 September 1911
     John Souther was Machinist / Railroad. He was described as Blue Eyes. He was born on 29 February 1816.1 He was born on 1 March 1816 at Boston, Massachusetts. He was born on 1 March 1818 at Boston, Massachusetts.2 He was the son of Job Tower Souther and Rachel Damon. John Souther married Olive Ramsdell Weare, daughter of George Weare, on 13 November 1842 at Massachusetts.3 John Souther married Olive Ramsdell Weare, daughter of George Weare, in 1843 at Boston, Massachusetts. [for he and his daughter Ella J.]

Description: 68 years, 5'08", Forehead: High; Eyes: Blue; Nose: Aquiline; Mouth: medium; Chin: medium; Hair: Gray; Complexion: Fair; Face: Oval.4 John Souther appeared on the census of 1900 at 43 Fairmont Avenue, Newton, Massachusetts.5 He died on 12 September 1911 at Newton, Massachusetts, at age 93.6,7 He was obituary on 15 September 1911 at Town Crier, Boston or Newton, Massachusetts. He was buried on 15 September 1911 at Forest Hills Cemetery, Cypress Avenue, Lot #5155, Souther Mausoleum, Urn, Boston, Massachusetts. John was a machinist. In 1851, the family was living at 247 4th Street in South Boston. According to the History of South Boston (It's Past and Present) and Prospects for the Future with sketches of Prominent Men by John T. Toomey and Edward P. B. Rankin (Boston, MA, 1901), "John Souther was one of our most highly esteemed and respected citizens, - public spirited, kind and loved by his employees." "John Souther, one of the leading manufacturers of the district, was given a banquet by his employees of the Globe Works, October 30, 1851." The following information pertaining to John has been extracted from Professional and Industrial History of Suffolk County, Massachusetts, Volume III, (Boston, MA, 1894).

"The Globe Works, for many years an important industrial enterprise in Boston, were founded by John Souther, who commenced business as a locomotive builder near the site of the old works on Foundry Street in 1846. For a short time he was associated with J. Lyman, whose interest he afterward purchased. Mr. Souther had previously been employed at the Boston Locomotive Works and had made all or a greater part of their first models and patterns. In June, 1954, the Globe Works Company was incorporated, with John Souther as president and D. A. Pickering, treasurer. For several years the building of locomotives was a prominent feature of their business, from twenty to thirty having been made annually. Since 1860, however, when the works were destroyed by fire, the building of locomotives has not constituted an important branch of their manufacture. This company quite early became well known for the excellent work accomplished by their steam shovel or excavator, which was used in the construction of most of the railroads in this country and Europe. During the late war this company was largely engaged upon work for the United States government. They constructed the United States steamship Houstonic, the hull and machinery for one of the monitors and also the machinery for a sloop-of-war and two side-wheel war steamers."

In the 1880 Boston City Directory, (see Advertisement above), John can be found operating his own company; John Souther & Company, Exclusive Manufacturers of Steam Excavators and Dredges, with his sons, Charles and George.

The following excerpts were taken from: Cape Cod Railroads, Including Martha's Vineyard and Nantucket by Robert H. Farson in custody of Jean Lorraine Souther's Personal Library, Eastham, Barnstable, MA.

p. 30 - Lawrence was one of many New England shops that switched at least part of their manufacturing to railway locomotives. Some of the other better known plants were Locks and Canals Machine Shop of Lowell, the Portland Company in Maine, Taunton Locomotive Works, John Souther who had left Hinkley, Manchester Locomotive Works in New Hampshire, Matfield Manufacturing in that Massachusetts town and Mason Machine Works of Taunton.

p. 31 - The Cape Cod Railroad had no other type of engine besides the 4-4-0, the basic steam locomotive of the nineteenth century. The builder of these first five engines, Holmes Hinkley, was born in Hallowell, Maine in 1793. He worked as a carpenter and later in the Boston area at the age of 30 he began to learn the machinist trade. In 1831 in partnership with Gardner P. Drury and Daniel F. Child the three opened a machine shop. Nine years later, in order to help satisfy a growing demand for locomotives, they produced their first, a small 4-2-0 designed by John Souther, a pattern maker who later started his own firm in South Boston where he produced steam excavators, machinery for sugar mills and railroad locomotives.

p. 38 - From 1850 to 1865 or so the times were characterized by great optimism and the spirit of growth and expansion. The railroad locomotive was a fascinating machine, a symbol of the pride which Americans felt about this new industrial age. So engine manufactures and the railroads themselves decided to glamorize the iron horse. They did it in three ways - with paint, brass and ornamental designs of headlights, bell stands, wood boiler lagging, steam domes, piping and cabs. the brass was bright and so was the paint, a lot of red and some green. Red wheels, green trim and black stacks and smokeboxes on the front of the boiler. This was a widely used color scheme. William Mason's engine, Phantom, was painted mostly blue as was John Souther's Washington. The Highland Light of the Cape Cod Railroad was not only its most celebrated engine but its most colorful. Blue from the cowcatcher - I mean pilot - through all the wheels, the headlight, most of the stack, the boiler, the cylinders, bell frame and the piston rods. The trim was red, yellow and brown with some white striping on the wheels and rods. The cab was red and were the sand dome and the steam dome, Stripes of bright, polished brass were vertical on the boiler every three feet or so. The name Highland Light was painted in white under the cab windows. There was scrollwork on the tender booth sides of the railroad name.

p. 67 - The Old Colony's roster of motive power was heavy with New England products. Besides its own shops that turned out locomotives in South Boston, the two builders in Taunton - Mason Machine Works and Taunton Locomotive Works - supplied many engines. Most of the Boston companies sold to the Old Colony, such as Hinkley, John Souther and Jabez Coney. Other suppliers were Lawrence Machine Works, Manchester locomotive works and the Rhode Island Locomotive Works, in Providence. The best known company in America, Baldwin Locomotive Works of Philadelphia, only built four engines for the Old Colony.

In Boston's Immigrants, 1790-1865, A study in Acculturation by Oscar Handlin (Harvard University Press, 1941), p. 85, found at the University of Hawai`i Hamilton Library is another reference to this John Souther.

"Between 1846 and 1848, John Souther launched the Globe Iron Works, manufacturing locomotives, the first steam shovels and dredging and sugar mill machinery, an enterprise which alone eventually employed four hundred laborers."
The Souther Works are recorded as having built three locomotives for the Old Colony Railroad:

1st No. 8 "Mayflower" 1849 4-4-0 14 1/2 x 20 60"
No. 42 "South Shore 1854 4-4-0 14 x 20 66"
No. 43 "Cohasset" 1854 4-4-0 14 x 20 60"

John's obituary was found in the 13 Sep 1911 New York Times and reads as follows: "BOSTON, Mass., Sept. 12, John Souther, probably the oldest iron manufacturer in the country, died at his home in Newton to-night, aged 97 years. born in Boston, Mr. Souther established the Globe Locomotive Works in 1821 in South Boston. During the Civil War the ironwork of sixteen vessels was turned out by him. Excavating machinery for the Suez and French Panama Canals constituted another of his contracts and for twenty five years all the sugarmaking machinery, used in Cuba, was turned out in Mr. Souther's plant. Mr. Souther was the father of the automatic sprinkler and invented machinery for making ice.

A couple of paragraphs from, Yankee Destinies: The Lives of Ordinary Nineteenth-Century Bostonians by Peter R. Knight tell of some of the perils of everyday life:

"....NARROW ESCAPE. On Tuesday afternoon, John Souther, Esq., proprietor of the Globe [Locomotive] Works, South Boston, was considerably injured by jumping from his wagon, his horse having become unmanageable, near the Worcester [Railroad] depot. His hand was badly torn, his right leg bruised and his whole frame jarred and seriously injured.

Ironically, as a leading manufacturer of locomotives, John Souther helped the transportation system of the United States through some rapid changes between about 1850 and 1870....

When the 1900 Massachusetts Federal Census was taken, John was residing in Newton, Massachusetts with his daughter Ella Jane and son, John Francis along with three servants, Ellen J. Sullivan, born Mar 1855 and Annie M. Ruhan, born in 1878, both from Ireland and his sister, Harriet N. James.

The John Souther House at 43 Fairmont Avenue in Newton, Massachusetts is listed on the State Register of Historic Places - 1998. It was added onto the list in 1986.

In the manuscript collection of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology is a passport #5858 for John Souther dated 8 May 1886 from the Secretary of State of the USA, Department of State at the City of Washington. The passport had visa stamped for Italy: 28 Feb 1888 by way of Beindise and stamped for Alexandria, Egypt; (also good for Syria and Turkey, 21 Feb 1888). His description is listed as:

Age: 68
Stature: 5'8"
Forehead: High
Eyes: Blue
Nose: Aquiline
Mouth: Medium
Chin: do
Hair: Gray
Complexion: Fair
Face: Oval

John died of old age, at 95 years, 6 months and 12 days. The informant of his death was John F. Souther, his son. At that time his son was living in Newton, Massachusetts. He and his wife's ashes are in the Souther Mausoleum at Forest Hills Cemetery, Cypress Avenue, lot 5155 at Jamaica Plain. John was the original proprietor of the mausoleum.

Obituary of John Souther, Unidentified Newspaper (probably of Boston, MA), 13 Sep 1911

Oldest Iron Master of U.S. is Dead
John Souther Founded Globe Locomotive Works


John Souther, the oldest retired iron manufacturer in the United States and one of the oldest Grand Army veterans in this country, died at this home at 43 Fairmont Avenue, Newton, about 9:30 last night, after a brief illness, at the age of 97 years.

In First Hawes Class

Mr. Souther was born in Boston and was a pupil in the first class of the old Hawes School. He served his apprenticeship in the Algers foundry in South Boston and when only 17 years old made the patterns for the fence around Boston Common, part of which is now in use. With money which he earned Mr. Souther founded the Globe Locomotive Works and continued in active business for over 60 years, retiring in 1881.

In 1849 Mr. Souther sent around Cape Horn the first locomotive and steam shovel for the first road from Sacramento to Fulton, a distance of 85 miles. About 18 years later, when the Union Pacific and the Central Pacific railroad tracks were completed, Mr. Souther sent two locomotives around Cape Horn and they took the first train through from the Pacific to the Atlantic.

16 Warships' Machinery

During the Civil War the government had the exclusive use of Mr. Souther's works and the machinery for 16 war vessels was built at his plant.

Fort Hill was removed by machinery from Mr. Souther's plant and it was his machinery that was used exclusively in the filling in of the Back Bay. His machinery was used on the Suez Canal and the French Panama Canal.

In 1851 Mr. Souther instituted a 10-hour schedule for his employees, being the first manufacturer in the country to do so.

For over 25 years he manufactured all the sugar machinery that was used in Cuba. Andrew Carnegie and E. H. Harriman was for many years among Mr. Souther's best customers. Mr. Souther has made many trips to Europe with his machinery.

He was married in 1842 to Olive R. Ware. He has two children living, John F. Souther of Arlington and a daughter, Ellen, who resides with her father.

John's passport was found in the collection of his papers at Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT). Passport No. 5858 was dated 8 May 1886. It gaves a description of him: Forehead - high; Eyes - blue; Nose - aquline; Mouth - medium; Chin - do [ditto]; Hair - gray; Complexion - fair; Face - oval. Souther Mausoleum - 1999

The following information was "transcribed" by the author from the Urns found in the "Souther Mausoleum, Cypress Avenue, Lot 5155", Forest Hills Cemetery, Jamaica Plain, Massachusetts.

There are two shelves on the left and right sides of the inside of the mausoleum. I started on the left side shelf and took the readings of the urns from back to front; then to the right hand shelf with readings of the urns from back to front. 10 urns on the left shelf; 7 urns on the right shelf.

A backslash "/ " separates each line of transcription.

Urn #1 - Porcelain - Remains of John Souther / Born March 1, 1816 / Died Sept. 12, 1911.

Urn #2 - Porcelain - Remains of Olive R. Wife of / John Souther / Born Sept. 20, 1819 / Died June 3, 1873.

Urn #3 - Bronze - Ella J. Souther daughter of / John and Olive R. Souther / Born Sept. 7, 1851 / Died Dec. 4, 1935.

Urn #4 - ???? - John F. Souther son of / John & Olive R. Souther / Born Dec. 5, 1856 / Died Dec. 23, 1935.

Urn #5 - Porcelain w/ornate Brass Collar - Carrie Maude Snow Souther / Born Aug. 6, 1853 / Died Aug 22, 1873 or 1875?.

Urn #6 - Brass - No Engraving (but it is Alice E. Souther, #33123, cremated 28 Mar 1958 - according to Forest Hills Cemetery records)

Urn #7 - ???? - George son of / John & Olive R. Souther / 1849 - 1894.

Urn #8 - ???? - Laura G. daughter of / George A. and Sarah J. Souther / 1880 - 1896.

Urn #9 - ???? - Sarah Isabel (Greene) wife of / George A. Souther / 1852 - 1932.

Urn #10 - Porcelain - EMPTY!!!

********************************************************************

Urn #11 - Charles Henry Souther / Sept. 23, 1849 / January 4, 1905.

Urn #12 - ???? - Maria Louisa Wheelock / wife of / Charles Henry Souther / Nov. 7, 1848 / Aug 5, 1932.

Urn #13 - ???? - John Glendon Souther / 1880 - 1959.

Urn #14 - Bronze - Marguerite Souther / 1882 - 1975.

Urn #15 - ???? - Dana Wheelock Souther / April 25, 1883 / April 18, 1910.

Urn #16 - ???? - Channing Weare Souther / 1883 - 1946.

Urn #17 - ???? - Channing Weare Souther / 1913 - 1968.

******************

Marguerite C. Souther seems to be missing..... Http://www.channel1.com/users/hemlock/MakersTransportation.htm

By giving a percentage of the valuable reclaimed land to the contractors for their payment and selling the balance to eager developers, "the Commissioners found funds for further work without expense to the Commonwealth." Actually, a profit of $3,000,000 was realized by the State from transactions involving the sale of its 100 acres. The contractors chosen for the job were Norman Munson, a Vermonter (but later a resident of Shirley, Mass.), and partner George Goss, a Boston contractor. They had never undertaken anything of the magnitude of the Back Bay job but boldly accepted the challenge. In doing so they planned to use two new techniques, the railroad and the steam shovel. Without these they never would have been able to transport efficiently the enormous amount of fill necessary for the job. They were fortunate in that the steam shovel had only recently been invented by William Otis Smith of Philadelphia, and some of the first of these machines were being built by John Souther in his Globe Locomotive Works in South Boston. (See conclusion of Section on "Railroads" for more information on John Souther.

Very few industrialists appeared in Newton, particularly after the nineteenth century, outside the industrial villages of Upper Falls, Lower Falls, and North Village (Nonantum). However, we did discover one who certainly could be included in that category who lived in Newton Corner. A notice of his death in the TOWN CRIER of September 15, 1911 contained a record of his achievements in the industrial field:

"John Souther, the oldest iron manufacturer in the United States died Tuesday evening at his home, 43 Fairmont Ave., Newton, aged 95 years. A daughter and son survive him. Mr. Souther was born in Boston, March 1, 1816 and was a pupil of the old Hawes School. When 17 years of age he entered an iron foundry and made the pattern for the fence around Boston Common. He invented the steam shovel and the steam dredger. He founded the Globe locomotive works, retiring from the company in 1881. The machinery built by him has been used on railroads in every state of the union as well as in many foreign countries. During the war of the rebellion the government had the exclusive use of Mr. Souther's works and the machinery for many war vessels was built by him. When 90 years old. Mr. Souther invented an ice-making machine. He was also the father of the automatic sprinkler."

Some of the achievements charged to Mr. Souther above might be questioned. The statement that he is "the oldest iron manufacturer the U.S." would require a great deal of research to prove, and it does appear that his invention of the steam shovel is not quite true.

Walter Muir Whitehill, the noted historian, in writing about the filling of Back Bay with gravel says that two techniques were used - the railroad and the steam shovel:

"John Souther (1816-1911), who built engines at the Globe Locomotive Works in South Boston, was just putting a steam shovel, invented by William Smith Otis of Philadelphia, into active production." Nevertheless, the other achievements of Mr. Souther certainly qualify him to be included here.

Circumstances made the Charles River Railroad the right railroad the right place at the right time, as they were chosen to be the rail carrier for the huge project. How it was accomplished is best described in Ballou's pictorial for May 21, 1859:
"The gravel is brought from Needham, near the line in Newton, a quarter of a mile from the Upper Falls Depot, and nine miles distant from Boston. One hundred and forty-five dirt cars, with eighty men, including engineers, brakemen and all, are employed, night and day in loading and transporting the gravel over the road. The trains consist of thirty-five cars each, and make, in the day time, sixteen trips, and in the night nine or ten, or twenty-five in twenty-four hours. Three trains are continually on the road during the day, and one arrives at the Back Bay every forty-five minutes. The excavators for loading the cars work by steam, and perform the work with rapidity and ease. There are two of them, both of which are propelled by engines of twenty-five horsepower.

The gearing of the engines is so arranged, however, as to greatly augment their power. When an empty train arrives at the pit, it is divided, and one half is fed by one excavator, and the other half by the other. A locomotive is attached to each half, and the cars are drawn past the excavators, to be filled. Two shovels-full fill a car, the operation being very much like that of a dredging machine. As the shovel is elevated from the pit, it is turned toward the car, and when directly over it the bottom is opened, and thus the gravel is deposited. The time occupied in loading an entire train of thirty-five cars is about ten minutes. The excavators do the work of two hundred men. The process of loading the cars, though very simple, is curious and interesting. During the year the contractors have been at work, there have been taken out of the hills of Needham about three hundred thousand yards of gravel. Some of the sand-hills which have been made by the machines in excavating, is about twelve acres in extent. The farm from which the sand and gravel are taken belongs to the Charles River Railroad Company. When the contractors commenced operations there was a mortgage on the land. They, the contractors, agreed, on their part, to lift the mortgage, and the Railroad Company agreed without further compensation to give the sand. It is believed that the excavation and filling in are going on at a more rapid rate than has ever been known in history of any similar contract in the country. The contractors make, in the Back Bay, on an average, about twenty-five hundred cubic yards, or forty-five hundred superficial feet per day. This is equal to nearly two house lots. About fourteen acres of land have been made already, At the rate the work is progressing, the hundred acres belonging to the State will be completed in about four years more time."8 Jamaica Plain's Role in the 19th Century Back Bay Fill
Monday, March 1, 2004 at 09:18PM
Jamaica Plain Historical Society
O fons Banusiæ, splendior vitro"
-Horace, Odes III, 13


The well-publicized activity surrounding the Big Dig and the Third Harbor Tunnel had its 19th Century counterpart in the Big Fill. From 1858 to 1898 the cities of Roxbury and Boston, the Commonwealth and a power company participated in the well-known filling in of the Back Bay from Massachusetts Avenue to Charles Street. The project increased Boston's land area by 70 percent and cost the taxpayers nothing, since the land created was sold for lots in a fashionable section. Five-hundred-fifty acres of tidal marshland were covered to an average depth of fifteen feet.

The constant land filling began in 1858 with the contracting firm of Goss & Munson. Drawing on sand and gravel left by the Ice Age in Needham just west of the Charles River, the contractors very easily brought the material in on side-dump railroad cars and added spurs to already existing lines as needed. Thirty-five-car trains made 25 trips each day and night, six days a week arriving every 45 minutes to dump their loads quickly. A total of only 80 men worked on the Big Fill, including loading, transportation, and dumping.

Making loading extremely easy were two 25-horsepower steam shovels built by John Souther (1816-1911) at the Globe Locomotive Works in South Boston, as they moved on a track parallel with the gravel mounds and the railroad cars. "Souther's monsters" would also be responsible for leveling 89-foot Fort Hill from 1866 to 1872. In 1884 Souther's son Charles moved with his family to Jamaica Plain into a house called "Allandale" on the Moss Hill road named after the house. He had bought the spacious house from his wife Maria's cousins, the Wellingtons, and it was duly registered in her name.

Though Henry W. Wellington was a dry goods merchant in Boston, he was also an entrepreneur. He owned 88 acres of the land where currently the old Boston State Hospital stands unused on the Jamaica Plain/Dorchester boundary. Nearby Wellington Hill, now crowned by the Lewenberg School, is named after him.

Wellington's Jamaica Plain estate consisted of high ground, meadowland and marshes immediately south of Allandale Road. He bottled and sold the water of the well-known spring on his land, thus showing that today's Poland Spring bottled waters are nothing new. The springhouse still survives and is to be the centerpiece of the retirement village being developed on the site currently by another Jamaica Plain institution, the Mount Pleasant Home, founded in 1901.

Wellington had bought his 20-acre estate from the Allen family, who had it from the vast area holders, the ancient Williams farming family with their pre-Revolutionary farmhouse were Our Lady of Annunciation Church now stands at the start of the VFW Parkway. The Allens built the house and named it by linking their name with the rural setting. Already in 1851 a dirt road known as Franklin Avenue connected Centre Street with the spring and, in an improved state, took its name from the house in 1863. The house stood on a high plateau overlooking the meadow and the highest rocks in what is today called the Allandale Woods.

Allandale partially burned in July 1888, and the Southers tore it down and built the two-and-a-half story house on fond memory at 14 Allandale in 1889-90, now marked only by the entrance posts at the start of the long circular drive. Sitting on a curving terrace of Roxbury puddingstone, the new Allandale overlooked a 60-foot long greenhouse, terraced gardens on the south, and meadow, through which a stream meandered to Elephant Pond on the south corner of the estate.

The estate stayed intact into modern memory because daughter Marguerite P. Souther (1882-1975) lived most of her 93 years there. No recluse, Miss Souther is still mentioned in hallowed tones in our area. Plunging into community activities, she joined the Tuesday Club of Jamaica Plain and in 1924 put up the collateral for the Club's mortgage on the Loring-Greenough House, the last remaining pre-Revolutionary mansion still in Jamaica Plain, thereby preventing its demolition for storefronts and house lots-the fate of all such prior houses along Centre Street.

Most memorable were the dancing classes Miss Souther ran at Eliot Hall, home of the Footlight Club, from the '20's to the '60's of rigorous but graceful instruction," as the Boston 200 Plaque on Eliot Hall still attests. When Miss Souther moved to a nursing home in 1968, the estate was quickly sold to Faulkner Hospital.

The hospital quickly razed Allandale and leveled the ground in hope of building on it. Denied permits amid cries by the Jamaica Hill Association, the hospital dumped earth and rubble into Allandale's foundations, and an ugly landfill is what the once beautiful Souther Estate, a byproduct of "Souther's monsters," looks like today. A happier future awaits it as Mount Pleasant's Springhouse community takes shape.

Sources: W. Holton "What's So Big About the Big Dig?" W.M. Whitehill, Topographical History of Boston; Ballou's Pictorial, October 1858 and May 1859; R. Heath, Allandale Woods; The History of the Loring-Greenough House; Mr. David Mittell.

Written By Walter H. Marx. Reprinted with permission from the March 12, 1993 Jamaica Plain Gazette. Copyright © Gazette Publications, Inc.
Article originally appeared on Jamaica Plain Historical Society (http://www.jphs.org/).
See website for complete article licensing information. He was described on 15 July 2010 at 54990184.

Children of John Souther and Olive Ramsdell Weare

Citations

  1. [S667] CR, Forest Hills Cemetery (Death Record says 1 Mar 1816).
  2. [S4] George Howard Souther, Memoranda, p. 25.
  3. [S4] George Howard Souther, Memoranda, p. 26.
  4. [S981] Ancestry.com, National Archives and Records Administration (NARA), Washington D.C.; Passport Applications, 1795-1905; Microfilm Serial: M1372; Roll #282.
  5. [S678] 1900-MA, Volume 48, E.D. 892, Sheet 10, Line 23.
  6. [S251] Town Clerks, MA-DOH-VR, Deaths, Volume 76, p. 209, #354.
  7. [S603] Obituary, New York Times, 13 Sep 1911.
  8. [S569] Web Page, http://www.channel1.com/users/hemlock/…